Standard applications instructions
To apply for FedNor funding, applicants must first submit an Initial Application (Phase One). Upon written confirmation from FedNor that the application can proceed, applicants will be asked to submit a Detailed Application (Phase Two), as well as other supporting documentation where required.
FedNor provides funding through the Northern Ontario Development Program (NODP) and the Economic Development Initiative (EDI) for Francophone communities. Before completing your application, carefully review the Program Guidelines (whether NODP Guidelines or EDI Guidelines) to ensure your organization is an eligible recipient and your proposed activities fit within the appropriate program objectives and criteria. FedNor currently has three priorities: Community Economic Development, Business Growth and Competitiveness, and Innovation
IMPORTANT: Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their proposal with a FedNor officer serving their area prior to completing an application.
As a result of a decision to accept public funding, depending on the nature of the project and the targeted clientele, contribution recipients may be asked to assume official languages obligations among other obligations outlined in their contribution agreement.
FedNor requires that all projects conform to the guidelines set out in the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA). For details of CEAA requirements please visit: www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca
Applicants cannot presume that financial support will be provided toward their project until written approval is obtained through a signed contribution agreement.
Phase One - Initial Application:
Complete an Initial Application (Phase One) providing key contact and project information, along with a brief summary of how the proposed project will result in the following outcomes, based on the selected priority area under which you are applying:
Community Economic Development:
- Increased community mobilization to identify and prioritize viable economic opportunities through enhanced decision-making and planning;
- Strengthened community economic competitiveness through implementation of identified priorities to diversify and stimulate business investment and growth in the short to medium-term (up to five years);
- Enhanced collaboration among stakeholders to achieve shared regional economic development goals in the short-to medium-term (up to five years).
Business Growth and Competitiveness:
- Enhanced productivity, competitiveness and business management capacity;
- Improved trade and export performance and supply chain integration in the short-to medium-term (up to five years);
- Enhanced level of investment from outside the region that increases the number of enterprises established and/or expanded in Northern Ontario;
- Diversified traditional industries and emerging sectors producing more value-added and knowledge-based products and services.
- Strengthened or new alliances and clusters among businesses, research institutions and innovation centres to commercialize applied research and development in the short- to medium-term (up to five years);
- Increased number of businesses in Northern Ontario engaged in the applied research and innovation process;
- Increased number of value-added products, processes or services developed and commercialized to enhance productivity and competitiveness in key sectors in Northern Ontario.
Initial Applications (Phase One) will be accepted on a continuous basis.
Applicants will receive written or electronic confirmation that their Initial Application (Phase One) has been received. FedNor may contact applicants for additional information or further detail as a review of the information is undertaken.
The results of the Initial Application (Phase One) review will be communicated to applicants in writing.
Note: A complete Initial Application (Phase One) must first be submitted to determine your proposal's eligibility.
Phase Two - Detailed Application:
Upon written confirmation from FedNor that a project may proceed to Phase Two, applicants must submit a Detailed Application and provide other supporting documentation, such as a detailed business plan, financial statements, articles of incorporation. The information required and instructions on how to proceed will be provided to applicants.
For applications under the Northern Ontario Development Program (NODP):Detailed Applications (Phase Two) will be evaluated on their ability to support the objectives of FedNor's priorities and meet the following criteria:
- Applicant can demonstrate it has an established track record in the delivery of projects;
- Applicant has the management, technical, program development and other expertise and resources required to complete the proposed project;
- Applicants applying on behalf of a sector or industry represent the key project stakeholders;
- Applicants have established a clearly articulated project governance structure and decision-making process;
- The project addresses a need identified by end users and will not duplicate existing efforts or projects;
- Accountability mechanisms are in place to ensure due diligence in administering public funds and the ability to report on performance measures; and
- Identification of a person and position responsible for project delivery and management along with key officers of the organization that have signing authority.
Furthermore, Detailed Applications (Phase Two) must clearly demonstrate how the proposed project will result in net economic benefits to Northern Ontario, namely short- to medium term measurable results leading to the economic development and growth of Northern Ontario communities and businesses, such as:
- Business development, growth and competitiveness;
- Strategic economic development plans developed and/or implemented;
- Collaborative projects undertaken and the number of stakeholders involved;
- Community assets developed, modernized or expanded (e.g., industrial/business parks, waterfront developments);
- Increase in business investment and employment growth (jobs created and maintained);
- Businesses with increased export readiness;
- Businesses exporting or increasing export sales;
- Expansion of a key economic sector;
- Businesses offering value-added and/or knowledge-based products and services.
For applications under the Economic Development Initiative (EDI) for Francophone communities, refer to criteria outlined in the EDI Program Guidelines
Successful applicants will be required to report to FedNor on project expenditures and activities, the results/outcomes of the project, and achievement of performance indicators as identified in contribution agreements.
- A complete Initial Application (Phase One) must first be submitted to determine your proposal's eligibility.
- Written confirmation that an application may proceed to a Detailed Application (Phase Two) should not be interpreted as FedNor's approval of the proposed project or authorization to start with the proposed activities.
- Applicants cannot presume that financial support will be provided toward their project until written approval is obtained through a signed contribution agreement.
For more information on FedNor's Northern Ontario Development Program, the Economic Development Initiative (for Francophone Communities), and other services, please contact your local FedNor Officer or call us toll-free at 1-877-333-6673.
- Date modified: