Application instructions for financial assistance
IMPORTANT : Applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their proposal with a FedNor officer serving their area prior to completing an application.
FedNor provides funding through various programs and initiatives. Before completing your Application, carefully review the Program Guidelines to verify that your organization and proposed activities fit within the appropriate program criteria and priorities.
All applicants are required to complete an Application for Financial Assistance. With the exception of Youth Internships and Community Futures projects, applicants may be asked to submit a Phase Two application. FedNor will notify those applicants that will require the Phase Two application.
If you decide to accept public funding, depending on the nature of your project and the targeted clientele, you may be asked to assume official languages obligations among other obligations outlined in your contribution agreement.
FedNor requires that all projects conform to the guidelines set out in the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA). For details of CEAA requirements please visit: www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca.
Applicants cannot presume that financial support will be provided toward their project until written approval is obtained through a signed contribution agreement.
Note: Applications for Financial Assistance will be accepted on a continuous basis.
Application for financial assistance:
Complete an Application for Financial Assistance providing key contact and project information, along with a brief summary of how the proposed project will result in the following outcomes, based on the priority under which you are applying:
Community Economic Development:
- Increased community mobilization to identify and prioritize viable economic opportunities through strong decision making and planning;
- Strengthened economic competitiveness in the community through priorities to diversify and stimulate business investment and growth in the short- to medium-term (up to five years);
- Enhanced collaboration among stakeholders to achieve shared regional economic development goals in the short- to medium-term (up to five years).
Business Growth and Competitiveness:
- Enhanced productivity, competitiveness and business management capacity;
- Improved trade and export performance and supply chain integration in the short- to medium-term (up to five years);
- Enhanced level of investment from outside the region that increases the number of enterprises established and/or expanded in Northern Ontario;
- Diversified traditional industries and emerging sectors producing more value-added and knowledge-based products and services.
- Strengthened or new alliances and clusters among businesses, research institutions and innovation centres to commercialize applied research and development in the short- to medium-term (up to five years);
- Increased number of businesses in Northern Ontario engaged in the applied research and innovation process;
- Increased number of value-added products, processes or services developed and commercialized to enhance productivity and competitiveness in key sectors in Northern Ontario.
Applicants will receive written or electronic confirmation that their Application has been received. While reviewing the information, FedNor may contact applicants for additional details to complete the application.
The results of the Application review will be communicated to applicants electronically or in writing.
Applications can be completed and submitted electronically, or printed and sent to the nearest FedNor office.
Phase Two Detailed Application:
Upon initial evaluation, FedNor will provide an electronic or written decision on whether the project should proceed to Phase Two. At that time, applicants may be invited to submit a Phase Two Detailed Application and provide supporting documentation. This may include a detailed business plan, financial statements, and articles of incorporation. The information required and instructions on how to proceed will be provided to applicants.
For applications under the Northern Ontario Development Program (NODP):
Phase Two Detailed Applications will be evaluated on their ability to support the objectives of FedNor's priorities and meet the following criteria:
- Applicant can demonstrate it has an established track record in the delivery of projects;
- Applicant has the expertise and the resources required to complete the proposed project;
- Applicants applying on behalf of a sector or industry represent the key project stakeholders;
- Applicants have established a clear project governance structure and decision-making process;
- The project addresses a need identified by end users and will not duplicate existing efforts or projects;
- Accountability mechanisms are in place to ensure due diligence in administering public funds and the ability to report on performance measures; and
- Identification of a person and position responsible for project delivery and management along with key officers that have signing authority.
Furthermore, Phase Two Detailed Applications must clearly demonstrate how the project will have short- to medium-term measurable results leading to the economic development of Northern Ontario communities and businesses, such as:
- Business development, growth and competitiveness;
- Strategic economic development plans developed and/or implemented;
- Collaborative projects undertaken and the number of stakeholders involved;
- Community assets developed, modernized or expanded (e.g., industrial/business parks, waterfront developments);
- Increase in business investment and employment growth (jobs created and maintained);
- Businesses exporting or increasing export sales;
- Expansion of a key economic sector;
- Businesses offering value-added and/or knowledge-based products and services.
For Phase Two Detailed Applications under the Economic Development Initiative (EDI) for Official Language Minority Communities (OLMCs), refer to criteria outlined in the EDI Program Guidelines
Successful applicants will be required to report to FedNor on project expenditures and activities, the results/outcomes of the project, and achievement of performance indicators as identified in contribution agreements.
- A complete Application for Financial Assistance must first be submitted to determine your proposal's eligibility.
- Electronic or Written confirmation that an application may proceed to a Phase Two Detailed Application (NODP and EDI) should not be interpreted as FedNor's approval of the proposed project or authorization to start with the proposed activities.
- Applicants cannot presume that financial support will be provided toward their project until written approval is obtained through a signed contribution agreement.
For more information on FedNor's Northern Ontario Development Program, the Economic Development Initiative (for Francophone Communities), and other services, please contact your local FedNor Officer or call us toll-free at 1-877-333-6673.
- Date modified: