Regional Air Transportation Initiative
The Regional Air Transportation Initiative (RATI) aims to help regional air transportation ecosystems affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19. This support will enable the ecosystems to remain operational through these difficult times and continue to support the economic growth of our regions.
This national initiative has a total budget of $206 million over two years. It is being delivered by Canada’s six regional development agencies (RDAs). The RATI is in addition to the measures in Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan and complements measures implemented by Transport Canada to support the air transportation sector.
- Regional and local air carriers
- Regional and local airports
- Businesses, cooperatives, business groups, not-for-profit organizations (NPOs) and public institutions that are part of the regional air transportation ecosystem
- The design and implementation of solutions for increased regional air transportation connectivity, to complement other federal measures and in particular those that Transport Canada is implementing
- The development and implementation of enhanced services to support regional connectivity
- The cash flow needs of regional and local airports
- Adaptation and modernization measures to maintain and improve operations
Certain costs may be eligible retroactively to April 1, 2020.
Examples of ineligible activities
- Compensation for revenue losses
- Refinancing of an existing debt
- The purchase of an airplane
- Airplane fuel
Types of support
- Contributions to not-for-profits are generally non-repayable.
- Contributions to SMEs are generally repayable or conditionally repayable, including a portion that could become non-repayable.
- Contributions to Indigenous clients could be non-repayable.
Submitting an application
Applications submitted by April 30, 2021 will be prioritized.
To know if this type of project is a priority in your region, or for any other question on this initiative, contact us at 1-877-333-6673 (TTY for hearing-impaired: 1-866-694-8389). We will be able to give you information and advice and accompany you in implementing your project while taking into consideration priorities for action in your region and the availability of funds.
- Date modified: